25 November 2010

Where Were We . . .

One year ago, Kristin and I were in Los Glaciares National Park. The park is world renown for the impending spires of Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre.

We camped in the park for nine glorious days. We resupplied our food and fuel in the town of El Chalten, only an hour's hike from our basecamp.

I distinctly remember hiking out on Thanksgiving Day last year so that we could email our family. We played Rummikub while warming up inside a friendly restaurant. Kristin and I shared a large pizza and a glass of Malbec. The weather during the prior week had been sunny but extremely windy and cold. We were very grateful for the cozy respite.

I'm thankful for our current comfortable and warm living situation in Bulgaria. (Thanks Mark and Marie for making this possible!)

However, it's not as scenic here as where we were last year. So I've included a few photos from Los Glaciares. These were taken just prior to when we hiked back to town for Thanksgiving.

I do look back at the photos with awe. I can't believe we were there!

Wishing I could fly.




*   *   *   *   *
6 Months Ago: Cusco, Peru

2 comments:

  1. I, my husband and my father will be in El Chalten (Fitz Roy) is now Dec. 26 ... Beautiful photos!
    Happy Travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful time in El Chalten. It is still one of our favorite places in all of South America. I hope you're prepared for wild weather!
    ciao!!

    ReplyDelete